Fall Kale Tahini Salad
I doubt it is a surprise to anyone, but salads are my go-to lunch option. I like to pack mine with a ton of ingredients so I am left feeling full and satiated without that 3:00 late afternoon crash or craving for sweets. One of the reasons I love salads so much is because of how versatile they are. No matter the season, or mood, you can adapt them to fit your needs. While I love summer salads loaded with grilled vegetables or fresh and bright fruits, this fall salad has my heart. Probably because it includes many of my favorite foods: apples, goat cheese, sweet potatoes, avocado, pecans, kale, and tahini. Pretty much everything I love in one bowl; of course I’m going to enjoy it!
While I now get to enjoy my salads in the comfort of my own home (mostly on my couch while I take my lunch break and watch whatever show I’m currently bingeing at that time), this salad was a staple during my corporate world days. At the time, I was committed to put an end to sad desk lunches. We’ve all had them, you know what they are! You either go to your local salad shop and drop $18 on a very sub-par, barely dressed, and icky looking salad, or you put in an effort to prep your own food only to open your Tupperware to completely soggy greens and a lack of add-ons. No matter the case, both of those are no way to enjoy your lunch! This was in constant rotation for my office days and never let me down.
KEEP READING FOR THE RECIPE
Not only is it delicious, but this is incredibly easy to make and takes minimal time or kitchen skills. First things first, you are going to roast the sweet potatoes. Chop them up into small ¼ inch pieces, toss in avocado oil and salt and pepper, and then bake in the oven at 425 degrees for about 25 minutes. While the sweet potatoes are baking, you are able to prep and assemble the rest of the salad. I told you it was easy! Wash, destem, and chop the kale and then place it in a large bowl. In a cup or smaller bowl, combine the olive oil and tahini and season with salt and pepper before mixing together well to create the dressing. Pour this dressing onto the kale and massage well with your hands. This is incredibly important as you want to make sure the dressing is evenly dispersed and the kale is softened! Next up, chop the apples, avocado, and pecans into small pieces and place on top of the massaged kale along with the crumbled goat cheese. Once the sweet potatoes are finished cooking, add those into the bowl and mix well.
Personally, I love this salad as is, but it is also a great side to serve with a roasted chicken thigh or grilled chicken breast, or hell, even a steak filet. Once again, salads are versatile; do with them what you want!
Fall Kale Tahini Salad
- Kale (1 bunch)
- Apple (1)
- Sweet potato (1)
- Avocado (1)
- Goat cheese (1/4 cup) – crumbled
- Pecans (1/2 cup)
- Avocado oil (1 teaspoon)
- Olive oil (1/3 cup)
- Tahini (1/4 cup)
How to cook Fall Kale Tahini Salad
- Cut the sweet potato into small ¼ inch pieces
- Toss the sweet potatoes with 1 teaspoon of avocado oil and salt & pepper and bake on a parchment lined baking sheet in the oven at 425 for about 25 minutes
- While the sweet potatoes are cooking, chop the apple into ¼ inch wide pieces, slice the avocado into small chunks, and chop the pecans into pieces
- Wash, destem, and chop the kale into small pieces and place in a large bowl
- In a cup or small bowl, combine the 1/3 cup of olive oil, ¼ cup of tahini, and ½ teaspoon of salt and pepper and mix until combined
- Pour the dressing into the bowl with the chopped kale and massage, using your hands, until all of the dressing is equally dispersed
- Top the kale with the apples, pecans, avocado, sweet potatoes, and crumbled goat cheese
- Gluten Free
- Soy Free
- Dairy Free (omit the cheese)
- Paleo (omit the cheese)
- Whole 30 (omit the cheese)